Formerly mundane and now weird things after being in Europe for three months
Only after a quarter of a year away from my home country, I realize that there are certain things I took for granted. Here’s a short list of things that are true in the US of A.
- It’s safe to assume that everyone I encounter speaks English.
- Prices do not include sales tax.
- Tipping at restaurants is a requirement.
- Restaurants automatically bring out tap water without having to ask for it.
- I don’t have to carry my passport around.
- Indoor plumbing is almost always reliable.
- Locals don’t assume you’re a foreigner.
Written on October 24, 2016